I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Memorable Conference

Stepping into the shower just as the lights went out. Having a hand soap dispenser squirt its liquid on the front of my pants in a darkened men’s room. Staying alert in spite of the rising temperature and humidity in the conference rooms where the air conditioning was not working. These are some of the impressions that stay with me from the Faith Writer’s Conference I attended in Livonia, Michigan August 12 and 13, 2011.

These are negative impressions. And they do not represent the majority of the impressions I have of that brief time from Friday evening to Saturday evening. The most memorable impression I have of the conference is the people, fellow writers, each enjoying different levels of success, but all working together to improve their craft, a craft they have each dedicated to the Lord’s use and glory.

I remember the comedy of fellow Canadian Timmy Doyle, and the heartfelt sincerity of Hanne Moon’s struggle to subdue her will to that of God. I remember the delightful exchange I had with Jan Ackerson just before her workshop on conflict in literature began.

Jan commented to the people who were sitting in the front row. “You were all over achievers in school,” she said. “I taught high school for many years, so I know. And I know why guys sit in the back row.” She looked at me, the single occupant of the back row.

“I taught high school, too,” I said. “That’s why I sit in the back row.”

“What did you teach,” she asked. I know that Amy Wiley will tell me to remove some of those dialog tags.

“English.” There, Amy. See? No dialog tag.

“Then why are you here?” Jan asked. It was true, of course. I had annually taught high school students about the different kinds of conflict that authors use in their work. But I learned some new things from Jan’s presentation and enjoyed hearing again what I had taught so many times, to a less enthusiastic crowd, I might add.

I also appreciated Amy’s instructions concerning showing instead of telling the reader what is happening, something Jan had reminded us of as well.

Patty Wysong’s presentation concerning blogging was especially challenging to me. I have a blog, two blogs, in fact, and a website. But keeping them fresh and current is a bit like rolling a large rock uphill for me.

Perhaps the most memorable thing about the conference to me will always be the people, both those who presented workshops, and those I met between workshops. Not only did they share with me their passion for writing, but they also shared their even greater passion for serving Christ.

It was a great conference, even if I did have to take a shower in the dark and have an over aggressive soap dispenser squirt me.

No comments: