I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Importance of Bible Teaching In The Local Church

For about two years of my life I was a member of a United Methodist church in Lincoln Park, Michigan. After I came to personal faith in Jesus Christ, something that happened outside the Methodist Church, I began to grow less and less appreciative of the church. Why? It seemed to me that no matter what the church taught, it was based more on official church positions than on what the Bible actually said. The pastor quoted the Bible in his messages, but he did not explain or proclaim the Bible texts. He simply quoted a verse here or there that seemed to support his message for the day.

This is the sole reason why I went down the street to the First Baptist Church of Lincoln Park, Michigan where for the next five years I sat under the ministry of one of the most godly men I have ever known. He didn't just quote the Bible, he taught it. He didn't tell us what he thought, or what the church thought. He taught us what God said in His Word.

For several weeks I attended the Methodist church in the morning, and the Baptist church in the evening. It didn't take long for me to be convinced I was getting better and more accurate Bible teaching at the Baptist Church.

Before joining the Baptist church, I went and talked with the pastor of the Methodist church and told him what I planned to do and why. His response was that I should stay in the Methodist church and "reform" it. Reformation. Didn't someone named Martin already try that?

The Baptist pastor had a much more encouraging message for me when I talked with him. He said I should go where the Lord led me, and that I should be in a church that will teach me faithfully what God says in His Word.

So, in May, 1960, at the age of19, I joined the First Baptist Church, a decision I have never regretted.

I am absolutely convinced that there are believers in many different denominations. When I taught at a Christian school, I had many students who represented a variety of denominational affiliations. They evidenced a deep and lasting love for Jesus Christ. Some of them are now my Facebook friends, and I love reading what they are doing to serve the Lord and how He is blessing them in their walk with him.

Now, don't accuse me of being a hater of Methodists; I am not. I have known Methodists who loved the Lord and tried, as I do, to serve Him. But in my judgment, after fifty plus years of studying the Bible, teaching it, and applying its principles to my personal life, I still a need a church that teaches me what God says in His Word, not one that tells me what the official positions of the church are, whether they are church law (which does not exist Biblically), or recommendations from some central committee. I really do not care what label is over the door of the local church. But I do care about how deep, how accurate, and how consistent is the Bible teaching that I receive once I am inside the door.

No comments: