I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Speed and Distractions


For ten years, I had the privilege of teaching a driver education course for teens seeking to get their license here in Ohio. My guess is that I helped put about 3000 new drivers on Ohio's roads during those ten years.

From time to time I would ask my young drivers-to-be what things bothered them the most about other drivers. One answer came up time and time again. They complained that too many drivers don't drive fast enough.

They were wrong, of course. It is not drivers who "don't drive fast enough" who are the problem. The problem is drivers who drive too fast.

Statistically, an extremely high percentage of all accidents, and almost 100% of accidents involving teen drivers have excessive speed as a factor. Excessive speed is defined as driving five or more miles over the posted speed limit, or driving too fast for conditions such as rain, snow, fog or heavy traffic.

The second most common factor that contributes to accidents across the board, young and old drivers alike, is distraction. Cell phones. Misbehaving children in the back seat. Eating. Even reading. All of these activities have been reported as contributing factors to accidents.

Drivers of all ages need to understand that driving faster than conditions allow and driving while distracted are factors involved in the vast majority of all auto accidents that take place. These accidents raise the costs of insurance for all of us, and, worse, injure and kill people.

My advice is slow down, and pay attention. Put the cell phone away, have someone else deal with the unruly kids in the back seat, save the snack for later, and put the maps, newspapers and books away until you are through driving. Everything rides on you and I driving safely.

1 comment:

sethswife said...

will you ride in my car and deal with the unruly children in the back seat for me?