I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Global Warming?




As I work in my study here in central Ohio just after the Blizzard of '08 finished dumping 20" of snow (according to the Columbus International Airport) on us, it is hard to think about global warming, except that we sure could use some if it here tonight!

But I have been reading Unstoppable Global Warming - Every 1500 Years by S. Fred Singer and Dennis T. Avery, published by Rowman & Littlefield. This book argues that the current trend to higher temperatures worldwide is not the result of human activity, but rather of increased radiation from the sun. The authors claim this increase in radiation occurs approximately every 1500 years. Since the industrial revolution has only been around about 150 years, it would not be likely that it could cause the warming trend we now experience.

The authors make the point that warming and cooling cycles have prevailed on the earth all through its history as evidenced by ice core samples that have been studied. They claim the earth had a warming period during which the Roman Empire flourished, and that this was followed by a cooling period during which the Empire declined because of limitations on food production caused by lower temperatures and shorter growing seasons.

According to the authors, the most recent cooling period ended in the middle nineteenth century, before the industrial revolution began, and that this warming period continues today. But it is due to increased radiation from the sun, not, as some have speculated, perhaps for political purposes, from CO2 produced by human activity.

I do not have a scientist's mind, so much of the detail escapes me. But this I know. Not all scientists are sold on the idea that global warming is harmful and unnatural, or that it is the negative result of industrialization. In fact, this book points out that nations have tended to flourish during the warming periods because of longer growing seasons and the increase of suitable growing areas.

I do not know who is right, but looking out my window today, I find it difficult to see the effects of global warming in my neighborhood. Check back with me in a month or two when it is warmer here!

No comments: